A few weeks ago I came across a news report on Mrs O'Callaghan's dad and the airplanes he builds. I showed the children the video on-line and then we wrote an email to Mrs O'Callaghan. The children had great things to contribute to the email.
After we sent it, Mrs O'Callaghan forwarded it to her father. He was very happy to receive our email. Mrs O'Callaghan emailed us back and sent us some more photos and stories of her dad. The children enjoyed reading her email and learning more about her dad and his very interesting hobby!
Below are copies of the email we wrote and the one that we received from Mrs O'Callaghan, along with her photos.
Hi Mrs O'Callaghan
This morning we watched the movie about your dad and his airplanes. This week we wrote about what we want to do when we are 100 and we can’t believe that your dad can build and fly planes at 85 years old!
We also saw your mum. I like his name on the plane. (Jenna)
It’s awesome. (Holly)
He can fly planes really good. (Kahn)
I can’t believe he is 85 and can fly planes. (Luke)
We love the movie. (Bonnie)
First I couldn’t believe that he flies planes and then I believed. (Albie)
I can’t believe he can build a plane. (James)
I can’t believe he’s a really good builder at building planes. (Mathew)
He can build a lot of different planes. (Charlotte)
I like the way he put the pants on the flag to know what way the wind was coming from. (Liam)
We liked the movie with the planes. (Isla)
We think it would be super cool if he could fly his plane all the way to Cockle Bay School to show us! (Mrs Nichol)
From Mrs Nichol and the children
Dear Room 26
Thank you for sending me an email telling me about my Dad on TV and writing stories about him and his planes.
I sent him your email so he could read what you wrote. He was very impressed.
Here are a few photos I thought you might like to see of his two planes. They are both single seaters. He is building a new plane which will have 2 seats.
He was very happy when he built his first plane and was able to call it TOM. Plane letters are a bit like the letters on a car number plate. You can't just choose what you like, you have to check if they are already being used on another plane. He was lucky to get to TOM.
My Dad lives in Dunedin and there is a photo of him flying over Dunedin.
He always dreamed of having a house with space big enough for an airstrip. His dream came true. So he is a happy man building and flying aeroplanes.
From
Mrs O'Callaghan



No comments:
Post a Comment